Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Triumphant Return to the 21st Amendment

I recently had the good fortune to make a business trip to the Bay Area, and even more fortunately, my better half was able to accompany me.  At the end of the trip we spent a night and a day in San Francisco.  At my insistence (C. didn't really put up a fight), we spent our first San Francisco evening at the 21-A.


Aside from the somewhat drunk, after-ballgame crowd, it was a great return to one of my favorite places. We had the Amber Waves and the Bitter American while we waited for a table.  I didn't take any notes at the time, but what I do remember is that they were both wonderful.  C. reminds me that the Bitter American was very yummy, and she particularly liked the modest ABV (4.4%).

Regarding dinner, first the bad news.  We ordered the calamari appetizer, and it was a little disappointing.  It looked amazing - it had just the right golden-brown color.  But the the pieces were actually quite dry and chewy.  It was very unexpected.

For dinner we both had pizza.  I had the Mexicali, and C. had the Margherita.  Both pizzas were excellent.  The Mexicali was perfect for a meat-lover, and the Margherita was a light, tasty contrast.

It was a big thrill for me to be able to return to one of my favorite spots (of the long-distance variety), and to be able to share the experience with the love of my life.

Cheers!