Monday, May 20, 2013

Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale, Boston, MA

Stoddard's has one of the best selections of draft beers in the Downtown Crossing area, if not the entire city. It has a very warm, friendly atmosphere. In addition to a very vibrant collection of craft beers, the also pride themselves on artisan cocktails. But when I visit, I can't resist the beers, so I'll have to review those another time.




This past weekend C. and I were out for a day on the town to celebrate our anniversary.  We popped in to Stoddard's to break up our walk from the ICA to the Public Garden.  It was so nice to grab a seat at the bar, away from the crowds, and enjoy a fine brew or two.  As I mentioned to the bartender, while Stodard's lacks outdoor seating, most of the bars that do have it have average-to-lousy beer lists.  He agreed.  "That's their only draw".

In the mood for a summer beer (by my definition, at least) I had Honedydew, an Farmhouse Ale from Night Shift Brewing.  Clean-tasting, with a little bit of the spicy, yeasty character that I (an avowed hop-head) have learned to appreciate in recent years.  It was one of a few good beers we had that afternoon, from their impressive line-up.
I'd consider Stoddard's a "must visit" for beer lovers passing through Boston.  I miss it already!